The contract can be changed by terminating or extending it.

An open-ended contract can be terminated and a fixed-term contract can be extended. In this case, the open-ended contract can be terminated as of the last date of the billing period, and termination must be notified at least 14 calendar days in advance. To extend a fixed-term contract, a request must be submitted no later than the end date of the contract. 

To change the contract, you need a reference number, which you can find on your last invoice. Please enter the validated phone number with the country code (+372xxxxxx).

The contract is changed automatically after the application is submitted (a separate confirmation letter is not sent). If you submitted a contract extension request, we will send an invoice for the next billing period on the first date of the period.